Writing about being useful

Alethea Lewis began her novel Things by Their Right Names with:

Philosophers have said, and poets have sung, that every individual of the human race is distinguished by a leading passion peculiar to himself. Now, I have not been so neglected by Nature, as to be left without this appropriate mark of humanity. I too, like the rest of my species, have my ruling passion; and this passion is, the desire to be useful.
Of the means to attain this end, money, talents, and leisure, are the most powerful. Of talents I must not boast, of money I have not any, of leisure I have a great deal. It is my leisure, then, that I must dedicate to my fellow creatures.

Write a story about a character who desires to be useful and has an idea on how they will go about fulfilling that desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment