Using a biography as a writing prompt

Stephen King started his book On Writing with:

I was stunned by Mary Karr's memoir The Liars' Club. Not just by its ferocity, its beauty, and by its totality - she is a woman who remembers everything about her early years.
I'm not that way. I lived an odd herky-jerky childhood raised by a single parent who moved around a lot in my earliest years and who - I am not completely sure of this - may have farmed my brother nad me out to one of her sisters for awhile because she was economically or emotionally unable to cope with us for a time.

Find an autobiography or think of a person, develop a basic idea about that person's approach to life and write a story that starts with a first person narrator comparing your idea of someone's approach to life with their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment